Marc is a nationally recognized expert in business valuation and forensic accounting. Marc regularly provides business valuations in the context of marital dissolution, shareholder and partner disputes, financial reporting, gift and estate planning, business planning and decision-making. Marc’s clients include attorneys and business owners throughout New England and beyond and span industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, high tech, construction, automotive, start-ups, and professional service advisors.
Attorneys turn to Marc to provide litigation support as an expert witness in the areas of business valuation, forensic accounting, lost profits, business interruption, economic damages and taxation. He has appeared in the United States Tax Court as well as Massachusetts Superior Courts and Probate Courts. Attorneys value Marc’s thorough analysis and ability to present complex facts involved in high stakes disputes, in a clear and compelling manner.
Divorce situations often present sensitive financial matters. Attorneys turn to Marc to address complex compensation issues, such as stock options, restricted stock, phantom stock plans, double dip factors, determining annual income and calculating support orders. His forensic accounting experience enables him to identify hidden income and assets that can be pivotal to divorce resolutions.
Marc has also proven to be a valuable asset to business owners. He advises them on potential exit strategies, identifies value-added drivers, and establishes stock-based compensation plans. Marc also works with business owners to develop a comprehensive estate plan which often requires a business valuation as part of the analysis.
Marc has been a partner at Edelstein & Company since 2002 and is the leader of the Business Valuation and Forensic Accounting Team. Marc has authored numerous articles related to divorce, forensic accounting, and family business operations. He is a frequent lecturer on issues of business valuation and forensic accounting at conferences around the country. A regular instructor for the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA), Marc has been the lead instructor for Current Updates in Valuation since 2007. He is also an instructor for the Intermediate Business Valuation Training Curriculum and contributed to the development of NACVA’s CVA Certification Training and Foundation of Financial Forensics Workshop.
Prior to joining Edelstein, Marc was with an international pharmaceutical global enterprise based in Boston. He also worked for other accounting firms handling tax engagements for public and private companies.
- Discovering the value in forensic accounting, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, March 2, 2015
- Is Your Company at Risk? Take-Away Lessons from the Market Basket Saga, Massachusetts Family Business, December 2014
- Weighing Divorce ‘Options’ Financial Advisor, January 7, 2014
- Are Stock Options Assets or Income? It all Depends, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, December 9, 2013
- Analyzing the History of Bernier After the Most Recent Massachusetts Appeals Court Decision, Bernier II, Business Valuation Update, November 2012
- Annual Publication - Current Updates in Valuation, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. Co-Author, June 2007-2014.
- Instructor: “Current Updates and Applications in Valuations,” National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, 2007 - Present
- Instructor: “Business Valuation Workshop,” National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts 2010 - Present
- NACVA Wisconsin: Subjects presented include: S Corps; Cost of Capital; Personal Goodwill, November 2015
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education: Trying Divorce Cases in Massachusetts, Overview of Business Valuation and Methodology, October 2015
- 25th Annual Family Law Conference, October 2015
- Social Law Library: "Getting Fair Value For Your Client: Valuation Issues for Massachusetts Law Attorney", October 2015
- NACVA/CTI: Annual Consultants' Conference: "How and When to Implement a Discount for Lack of Control in Your Valuation" and "Business Valuation and Financial Forensics Case Law Update", June 2015
- AGN's North American Regional Meeting: "Cost of Capital Workshop", May 2015
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Divorce Finance Summit: Co-Chair. Subjects presented include: Overview of Case Hypothetical and Current Trends in Personal Finance, Employment, Small Businesses: Analysis of Issues and Options (Webcast); Income Issues; Business Valuation Overview; Revisiting the Double Dip, February 2015
- Family Law 2014: 17th Annual Conference, “Business Panel on Income”, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, April 2014
- “Expert Testimony: Daubert/Lanigan and Business Valuation, Part 2, the Mock Hearing”, Massachusetts Family and Probate American Inn of Court, March 2013
- “Divorce Finance Summit,” Co-Chair, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, (2011, 2012, 2013)
- 2012 Annual Consultants Conference, “Correlation of Cash Flow and Cost of Capital,” Dallas TX, June 2012
- 2009 Outstanding Member Award, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008 Instructor of Exceptional Distinction, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts